Wednesday, June 10, 2009

YPT1 and Bus Routes

Since I had YPT1 rehearsal tonight, I went into work later in the day.  Fortunately, I overestimated my travel time, because it actually took me around two hours to get from door to door.  Given, a good portion of that time was spent waiting for the buses to arrive at their stops (every 5-10 minutes...such a lie!), but still, I was pretty weary by the time I arrived at BAC.  It took about the same amount of time to get back to Nido as well.  When I first arrived at BAC, Ed was the only one in, (Greg came in later and Rob is doing a cycling race in France this week), and he was missing in action when I searched the building, so I just did some more cable labeling and cleaned up the greenroom for my first hour before my production meeting.  When he returned to the greenroom, I chatted with Ed about ways to make the storage areas easier to navigate (mainly because they have so many temporary staff members come through BAC and equipment tends to disappear and reappear in strange places...).  My suggestions may lead to more labeling on my part, which is fine by me...as I have been known to say, I enjoy making order out of chaos.  :)

The meeting itself was really productive.  We filled out the production agreement, which is a piece of paperwork that serves as the technical reference sheet with all necessary technical elements, equipment needed, important dates, etc.  Since we do not really have a specific design team (one of the technicians will do the lighting design during tech), I will be in charge of acquiring props and scenic pieces, some of which will be very challenging.  (We are ending with an hourglass effect which will involve sand running from giant cones attached to the grid...and I get to figure out how we will make this work...hmmm...)  When I was preparing to set up, Luke actually told me that I'm doing a really great job, which meant a lot.

Rehearsal itself went well.  They began with a shorter warm-up than last week's (we're getting pretty stretched for time) and choreographed a possible movement piece based on the Riddle of the Sphynx.  They also continued the changing scene, which became a bit congested toward the end...some of the kids were angels, but the majority of them just would not stop talking and trying to draw attention to themselves by just being silly, which was incredibly irritating.  I was pretty popular at one point, though: One of the students asked me where in the States I'm from, and I gave my usual response "Indianapolis...in Indiana...near Chicago?" which made him incredibly excited since he's visited Chicago.  Then one of his friends asked me if I voted for Obama, and they thought that I was pretty cool because I did.  Take that, cynics...I'm considered cool by some 13 year olds because I voted for Obama.  :)

1 comment:

  1. One of the reasons that my boyfriend even gave me a second glance after we first met was because I voted for Obama :)

    ReplyDelete