Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tidying Up and Bus Rides

Considering that today was spent still tidying up the lower storage area of BAC, I actually had a really good day.  :)  I went in at the usual time and, after my cup of tea, started out by labeling cables by length (the next set of cables after yesterday's section was completed).  It was only slightly awkward when the other intern started working on it as well...she does not have much initiative and is not very friendly.  (Fortunately, I was able to find the website for the radio station we listened to yesterday and thus block out the awkward silence...)  By the time the massive pile of cables was sorted out, Greg and Ed were in for the afternoon, so there were a few more ideas regarding which projects needed to be completed.  At one point, the other intern and I were sent to the General Office (small black box space, which used to be the general office when the building was the Battersea Town Hall...most of the spaces are now named for their original purpose, hence the General Office, Council Chamber, and Members Only Bar).  She was leading the way, so I just thought I would see where she led us...which turned out to confidently be right to the copy room.  Slight misunderstanding (although why she thought we should go to the copy room to check lighting inventory and take down black curtains is beyond me...).  She checked the inventory (although she did not seem overly confident in what everything was), while I used a ladder to take down the curtains...it would have been nice to have someone footing me, but I was fine on my own.  By the time I had untied everything, she had disappeared, so I folded everything (very awkward job by yourself) and lugged it to heavy storage.  Needless to say, I was knackered by the end of it (yes, I'm blatantly using British slang because it was the most appropriate word to use for that instance), so I took my lunch break, which was once again awkward by the other intern's silent presence.  (Not to brag, but I'm definitely the one with the personality, it seems...)  You could tell that some of my coworkers didn't really know what to do with her either, because she's an acting major with incredibly limited technical skills...not that I'm a technical goddess, but I've really improved over the last few weeks from just doing the tasks (please reference my relationship with ladders from my first day until now).  After lunch, I continued labeling and sorting cables, which gradually evolved from lighting to Audio/Visual stuff...at one point, I was sorting the cables based solely on appearance, since I still have no idea what most of them actually do.  :)

The Tube Strike began today and will last until Thursday night.  Although I left work before the lines were officially closing, I opted to take the bus so that I could be sure of the route and get a rough estimation of the time (and because I was not really in any hurry to get back to Nido).  Since Battersea is a little out of the way, I will have to take three different buses total, but I actually enjoyed the route quite a bit...the first bus on the way to Battersea crosses the Thames at Blackfriar Bridge (I live on the north side of the river and work on the south side....ay, the controversy!), so I have a great view of the hub and bub of downtown (which will be particularly interesting at 8:30 AM).  The whole journey by bus is about an hour and a half, whereas the Tube is 45-55 minutes, but I spend my entire commute reading, so time is not really an issue.  I think that this is one of my greatest sources of happiness in the city: the fact that I am guaranteed at least two hours of reading time every day on my way to and from work.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment