Thursday, June 4, 2009

Busy Day

Today, I watched a show go through the most rapid-fire tech process imaginable: plotting (cuing) at 10:00, dress rehearsal at 1:45, show at 3:30.  Had it been an effective show, it would have been a dream.  :)  Unfortunately, "Whodunnit in the Community Centre" will not be winning any Tonys this year...or ever.  Basically, take a poorly constructed murder mystery and throw in random interludes with songs from Chicago, and you have the show.  (And let me tell you, "All I Care About Is Love" sounds really creepy when it's being sung by an 18-year-old boy from east London...Billy Flynn was not Cockney in any way...)  There were a few divas (and fairly incompetent ones at that...) but the group was overall much more respectful than the other South Thames College group earlier in the week (same director, though...who's name, Fergus Dick, just makes him sound like a creeper).  Also, Fergus brought his young daughter, who ran around the stage during plotting, warm-ups, and intermission.  (Again, it brought me back to my memories of The Children's Museum.)

Despite the subject matter, the experience was actually pretty cool.  Ed, my technician coworker who designed the show and ran lights, is delightful, funny, and kind, and I had a great time working with him.   During the actual show, I was the sound op so that he could focus on lights, so we made quite a few remarks about the show from the safety of the booth.  :)

In the evening, I went to our scheduled cultural excursion at the Museum of London only to find that the museum was closed (it actually closes at the time we were told to be there) and the sign-in person had already left (yes, I was ten minutes late, but it had taken me over an hour to get there from Battersea on a bus and multiple Tube lines).  Pretty frustrating, but I will hopefully get to state my case tomorrow during Professional Development (with about 50 comrades who were in the same situation).

1 comment:

  1. Fergus Dick...wow. I think I'll add that one to my collection of future cat names.

    Ugh. Sorry about the Museum of London excursion. At least you've been able to see all sorts of cool stuff on your own. You are so very worldly. :)

    ReplyDelete