Saturday, June 13, 2009

Trooping the Colour and Waterstone's

This morning was far more exciting than the average Saturday for me and my fellow Londoners: the Queen's Birthday was celebrated with the Trooping the Colour parade. I left Nido early in the hopes of not being at the back of the crowds, and I surprisingly managed to get a spot fairly close to the front along the parade route. I arrived as the early festivities were going on and watched several groups of soldiers march by before the bands (which were the size of a small army), and finally the members of the royal family. As the carriages were leaving the palace, I was surprised by their speed...I barely managed to snap a photo of Prince William, Prince Harry, and Camilla before they were gone, and I didn't really recognize Charles until someone pointed him out. The Queen was lovely (her carriage moved slightly slower), and it was thrilling just to see her in person. Once the royal family passed, most of the crowd dissolved, but I stayed where I was since I knew that they would return by the same route. Thus, I got a spot right up front for the return trip (where I didn't have to worry about a giant in front of me again), so I was able to take a few more photos. The bands were fantastic (particularly the band mounted on horseback...playing drums while on a horse is a pretty impressive skill), and I loved seeing all of the pomp and pageantry associated with the festivities. One of the guards passed out, though (we saw some others carrying him on a stretcher to the first aid station)...the beautiful weather would certainly have overheated anyone in those heavy uniforms. (He wasn't a bagpiper, though, so I could not make any references to having "a piper down!") When the soldiers on horseback paraded through, I realized just how terrifying a battle must have been back in the day...it was intimidating to me, and they didn't even have weapons drawn! (Speaking of which, the soldiers calling out orders to the soldiers lining the pathway had a sword, which I think should be my prop of choice when delegating tasks on a show...I was all ears, and I could not even understand him, but I was ready to serve and protect should the man with the sword need any assistance!) It was an exciting day to be in the city...so many happy people and so much national pride. Saint James's Park was full of families and couples having picnics and people reading in the shade, and it felt like the perfect morning. :)

Since my mood was already in the clouds (and since I finished reading my current book while waiting for the parade to begin...the main reason why I did not just stake out a shady spot in the park), I opted to treat myself this afternoon and go to Waterstone's Bookstore...I may have literally salivated as I approached the building. I haven't been in a Border's for such a long time, and this place is essentially Border's Cubed. I could have stayed there all day quite comfortably, just looking at all of the lovely books...I definitely need to start making more time to read for pleasure when school starts...that would definitely be beneficial to my mental and emotional health. :) When I made my purchase ("The Boleyn Inheritance," the sequel to "The Other Boleyn Girl"), I walked back to the Tube station and stopped for lunch at a cafe. In the evening, I went to Mass at Saint Aloysius's Parish (about a fifteen-minute walk from Nido), which made a very relaxing end to an excellent day. (Although, of course, Nido brought be back to Earth when all of the dryers mysteriously stopped working while my entire wardrobe was in the wash...but ah well...I saw the Queen and visited a glorious bookshop today, so I an certainly deal with having my clothing strewn across my dorm room as it dries!)

No comments:

Post a Comment