Monday, June 22, 2009

Quiet Monday and Grasses of a Thousand Colours

Work was relatively quiet today...a few groups were setting up in various spaces, but it was pretty low-key nonetheless.  I spent most of the day working on YPT stuff, which was not too exciting.  I also recoiled some cable that had gaffa tape stuck to it which was disgustingly sticky...the type which has obviously been overheated and is now just a clothy mess of goo.  Toward the end of the day, I helped Stuart with some lighting set-up in the Council Chamber, which was a nice change of scenery...I would have gladly stayed and finished it up, but I had to run back to Nido for food before my theatre experience tonight.

I went to the Royal Court Theatre (for the second time) to see "Grasses of a Thousand Colours" by Wallace Shawn.  I was particularly excited because he is in this production, along with Miranda Richardson and Jennifer Tilly.  The show was...interesting...let's just say that I'm glad that the program is also a copy of the text so that I can reexamine it later after I've let it soak in.  And few things are quite as awkwardly hilarious as seeing a man that you recall from childhood for his delivery of "Inconceivable!" as he rambles a monologue about his relationship with his nether regions.  I laughed like the love-child of MO'Hara and Prendy, and it was glorious!  The space was lovely as well...a small studio theatre, with unassigned seating.  I sat in the center of the second row, so I was never more than ten feet from the actors.  The show also utilized some pretty cool projection work, which was an interesting contrast with the simple set (just a rug, large white sofa, lamp, and podium).  Miranda Richardson was clearly the strongest of the three women for most of the performance (the weakest being Emily McDonnell, the only one in the show that I did not recognize), although Jennifer Tilly had her surprising moments.  After the show ended, I went outside to the stage door to be a raving fan...come on, how many times will I get to meet these people?  Apparently, Miranda Richardson went out another way (grumble), but I did get to take a photo of Wallace Shawn as he left and he signed my program/script.  Jennifer Tilly (criticize her acting as you will...and I know you will, you heartless beasts!) is a sweet, sweet lady.  Not only did she offer to take a picture with me, but she also asked me my name so that she could personalize her autograph to me.  So once again, my heart is warmed by the kindness of someone unexpected.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment