Friday, June 5, 2009

Cathedrals, Museums, and Burlesque Shows

Today was busy, with some moments that were far more exciting than others.  Nevertheless,  I will sleep very soundly tonight!

We started with Professional Development, with the topic of "Business Communication."  Who knew that speaking and listening were equally important, or that meetings should have agendas? (Gasps of horror!)  Ah well...

After the seminar, I went to Saint Paul's Cathedral, which was even more incredible than I remembered.  There were moments when I was sitting beneath the dome in which I felt like I was looking at a photo or a painting: there was no way that something actually in front of my eyes could be that exquisite.  I climbed to the Whispering Gallery (a beautiful view, but slightly anticlimatic when you don't have a friend to whisper with you), then up to the Stone Gallery.  I actually managed to get some fairly nice one-handed photos of myself with the skyline behind me.  I particularly enjoyed the Crypt (I know, I'm grim...), especially Christopher Wren's tomb itself.  When I had wandered sufficiently, I went to the Crypt Cafe for tea and gingerbread so that I could decide how to spend the rest of the afternoon (as I had a theatre ticket for tonight).  Since the Museum of London had been closed yesterday, I opted to go today, and on my way, I passed three other churches designed by Christopher Wren: Saint Vedast-alias-Foster, Saint Anne/Saint Agnes, and Saint Mary-le-Bow.  Saint Vedast-alias-Foster was particularly captivating...I almost felt drawn to check it out as I was walking by, and when I approached it to find out what it was, I saw that they keep their doors open all day for personal meditation.  They also have a charming little courtyard, which was very peaceful, particularly since it was sunny at that point in the day.  I stopped there long enough to look around the sanctuary and sit in the courtyard for a few minutes, and it was lovely to be able to take a breath of fresh air after rushing around the city.  I made my way to the Museum of London with only an hour to explore.  The museum is fairly small by comparison to others, but it had some interesting and unique items (the death mask of Oliver Cromwell, for example).  They also had a very reverent memorial area to those who were killed in the Tube bombings, and they are currently working on updating the modern exhibits in preparation for the 2012 Olympics.

After the museum, a stop at Nido for dinner, and an attempt at a catnap, I went to Leicester Square Theatre for tonight's cabaret/burlesque show.  Yes, I went to see a burlesque.  And it was fantastic!  The headlining act was Miss Polly Rae and her Hurly Burly Girlys (Polly was absent, unfortunately, as she is competing for Miss Exotic World in Las Vegas), and Dusty Limits was the emcee.  It was hilarious!  Dusty highly encouraged the purchase of drinks so that the bar staff could play the famous Leicester Square game of "rohyphnol lottery."  (He explained it as "You pass out, you wake up, and you realize that I've redecorated your flat...and shagged your brother.")  He also sang (among his many tunes) a very dirty version of "Music of the Night" from "Phantom of the Opera," after which he asked us not to think of it as a song, so much as "a cheque to cash."  The other acts were Frank Sanazi (yes, he was dressed like Hitler, and yes, he referenced his band, the Iraq Pack) and Frisky and Mannish, a duet that had me rolling in the aisles when they turned classic love songs into stalker anthems.  And, of course, the Hurly Burly Girlys were fabulous.  One of their pieces actually made me realize the divine purpose of my stage managing the dance show: so that when I saw a burlesque parody of "Danse des petits cygnes," I would laugh harder than I have since the techie version of The Full Monty at the Theatre Banquet!  :)

2 comments:

  1. wait...was it a burlesque or a drag show or some combination of the two?
    whatever the case, sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a variety show, but the burlesque dancers were the highlight. No drag involved, although Dusty Limits was wearing some makeup. If you come down to London, you should definitely see the show (it runs every Friday night).

    ReplyDelete