Monday, June 29, 2009

Grand Hall and Cable Video

Work today was relatively quiet again, but I still had an absolute blast.  Most of my day was spent in the Grand Hall prepping for a Tea Dance that is taking place there tomorrow.  It was pretty basic stuff...just rearranging some of the lighting and clearing the space (fortunately, Front of House took care of all of the tables and chairs that needed to be struck and reset...with my whole lower half still aching from Dover, that was not a job that I wanted to do!).  Most of my work involved moving ladders, cutting gels, and manning the lighting desk.  I also did some general work for YPT, since tech is a week from today...I'll have to do some paint shopping later this week.  Fun times.  The really exciting part of the day was actually toward the end (I stayed around until about 8:00 because of this): Ed and Rob were making a video on proper cabling procedures, so I was their camera-person and did voice overs at the beginning (with a cameo at the end).  It was pretty hilarious, and, to be honest, I'm amazed that none of us cracked up on camera.  After a lengthy process of rehearsing, taking process photos, and taping the three-part sequence, we went back to the greenroom for the premier...which would have been much more exciting had we been able to figure out how to hook the camera up to the TV.  (But hey, I can't really complain: I spent several extra hours with the most lovely people I have met since I arrived here, and I had an after-work round with them.  Although cider on an empty stomach may not have been the best idea, and I sense that I will be in bed early tonight...)  Main note from today: I love my coworkers.  And I find it remarkably unfair that I finally feel as though I belong and will potentially never see some of them again after this next week ends.  They are kind, warm, intelligent, hard-working people, and they truly embody the spirit of theatre that I love....and I am grateful to them for welcoming me so willingly into their group.

No comments:

Post a Comment