Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tidying Up and Gel Cutting (Exciting, I Know...)

Today at work, I felt more productive than I have for the last week...which is ironic, because I have the least amount of information to report.  I went in early, drank a cup of tea and read my book while I waited for the other technicians to arrive, and cleaned out one of the weird spaces where a party had supposedly taken place last week (picking up streamers, etc).  The space is actually a room under the main stairwell, which I have heard referred to as "the crypt" and which, if I were in a cheesy horror novel, I would assume is the room in which the undead villain lives.  :)  As it turns out, today was set to be a general "tidying up day," so I helped Ed, one of the technicians, clean out the light booth (I think he referred to it as the "control booth") in the Council Chamber and the upstairs lighting closet (storage)...many teacups were returned to the cafe.  During one moment of down time, I actually washed all of the dishes in the greenroom (we have a small kitchen space with a sink, mini-fridge, and microwave), because that seemed like something an intern might do.  :)  Then we started sorting and reorganizing the greenroom and electrics storage.  (The plan is to clean all of the spaces, starting with the center of the building and moving out, hence the beginning in the greenroom.)  I spent most of the afternoon cutting gel sheets down to reasonable sizes so that they could be more readily stored...lots, and lots, of gel sheets.  :)  I finished the pile right before I left, though, so I was able to walk to the bus stop with a great sense of accomplishment.  Plus, I don't really mind tasks like that where I'm semi-independent if I know what I'm doing...it was nice not having to ask someone for my next project every twenty minutes.  The gel storage area looks glorious now, by the way.  :)  And since we didn't have to stress about preparing a performance space, everyone was in a really upbeat and chipper mood, so the day flew by.  (My coworkers have the perfect combination of youthful energy and blatant sarcasm...I feel as though they threw my best friends in a blender with my British uncles.  Where else could you hear the phrase "Dew rag?  Sounds a bit like douche bag..."?)

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous. That's all I can say about dew rag.

    ReplyDelete