Monday, May 18, 2009

So Much to Do...

Today was a long, but really productive day.  I got up early for orientation, and had a small adventure at King's Cross when the station entrance became gated just before I entered.  The guard kept telling us to wait just a moment, and that the station was crowded and we would be let in soon...after a half hour of waiting, the station closed entirely, meaning that I had to walk 10 minutes to the next station and try to figure out how to get from one line to another, all while slowly inching toward tardiness.  I arrived 40 minutes late, and I was not the last one there (did I mention that I arrived at the station at 9:00 in order to get to the 10:00 orientation?).  I found out this afternoon that a woman went into labor and someone pulled the emergency alarm, so I'm a bit more sympathetic.  :)  (Although I will bet you anything that the ticked-off British businessmen ahead of me in line have very little sympathy for her...)

Orientation basically consisted of information that we already had as well as preparation for the interviews this week (it was oddly reminiscent of Advanced Stage Management at that point...the interview prep, not the stuff that we already knew...).  My interview is tomorrow morning.  :)

After orientation ended, we split into groups for the Bringing London to Life Scavenger Hunt.  My group opted to get lunch first, during which we figured out how many of the clues led to similar areas...very efficient, I know.  We spent most of the afternoon in Hyde Park, then went over to Chinatown (near Leicester Square) before making our way to the final clue by the set time (which turned out to be the pub down the street from our housing).  We were all sent to the open balcony to hang out, and since it was cold and windy, I headed out after a short time.  I did some shopping for basic things that I needed in the room (I specifically recall being told that we would have kitchen supplies here...lies, all lies!)...there is a Boots and a Marks and Spencer just down the street from Nido, which is very convenient. 

Now that I have my social calendar from EUSA, I am free to plan out my excursions during my free days...three guesses as to Corrina's evening activities?  If you guessed "Planning the sights she will see on every Friday afternoon, Saturday, and Sunday during the orientation time" you would be almost correct...I left the last weekend open for some wiggle-room.  I feel like there should be some witty comment to sum this up: "You can take the stage manager out of the office, but you can't take the office out of the stage manager," perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment