Thursday, May 28, 2009

Giant Glasses and the Globe

Today was an interesting day at BAC.  One of the shows that we were loading in was a musical concert, so one would think that it would be fairly simple and straightforward: risers, two basic lighting colors...think again.  The leader was both demanding and indecisive (one of those "I want it this way, but if you think of another way, that's okay, too" sorts of people), and they did not provide us with very detailed instructions.  The first couple of hours were spent hanging and focusing lights (which was especially fun when we ran out of the particular gel we needed), and then the challenge began: the group had five pairs of giant glasses (made of painted plywood which was far from flameproof) which whey wanted to have suspended from the ceiling.  Did I mention that this particular theatre space, while larger than some of the other studios, is still a studio theatre with a stationary grid?  Fortunately, I did not have to use the rickety ladder or scary lift (basically just another ladder with a basket on top and a more stable base), but the first attempt to hang one of the pairs of glasses seemed like YouTube material...we eventually figured out the best strategy after quite a bit of trial and error.  The first one took an hour to hang, after which the leader complained that the straps that attached them to the grid were too conspicuous...given the choice of being conspicuous or having my tombstone read "Here Lies Corrina, who was crushed by a giant pair of glasses that some smart band leader thought would be fun to hang with tie line instead of industrial-strength straps," I'll take the conspicuous road any day (willing suspension of disbelief, people...)!  The one great part of this ridiculous project was the sheer number of puns that resulted (ex. "How's everything going in the Council Chamber?" "It's spectacular!")  I spent a good chunk of the day behind the light board (which I actually knew how to operate!  Yay for me!  Or, should I say, yay for ETC Express light boards!) We were all in a much better state to revisit that room after lunch, and things were going smoothly by the time I left.  One of the technicians kept reminding us that this was probably the most ridiculous project he has been involved with at BAC.  (Fun facts: In the UK, a light board is referred to as a lighting desk, and a plot is a plan.)

After work, I had a picnic dinner by the River Thames and went to see my first show at the Globe (I say first because I know that I will be back).  It was "A Comedy of Errors," which I had not seen before but thoroughly enjoyed.  Since this was one of the outings that EUSA arranged for us, we were all in the groundling section.  Half of the interns left before the end (wimps, I say), but I honestly think that standing through a Shakespearian play at the Globe should be an experience on every theatre practitioner's To Do List.  The show involved a considerable amount of doubling, so I wondered how the revelation of the two sets of twins would work at the end, although I could tell with anxious anticipation that it would be great (and so it was...two words: cardboard cutouts!).  The doubling also proved incredibly entertaining in the scenes in which both characters appeared (ex. the Duke and the Goldsmith).  The production was classical in style and incorporated quite a bit of music and dance during interludes between scenes, which was both comical and fluid.  I actually lost count of the number of times the company reentered the stage due to the overwhelming curtain call.  As I was walking back to the Tube station, I saw a little boy walking with his mother and recognized them from the audience.  The boy was absolutely beaming, and I asked him if he enjoyed the show and who his favorite character was (he loved it, and he thought that Dromio was really funny).  I was smiling just as much as him as I walked on, because I felt inspired by his joy at what he had just seen.  I want to make that happen...that's just one reason of many for my choice of work, and I know that many of you who are reading this feel the same way.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment