Saturday, May 23, 2009

Markets, Harrods, and Dead Victorians

I slept in a bit today (which was very much deserved, in my humble opinion), then started my day by visiting the Portobello Road Market. The Tube was incredibly crowded on the way (some sporting event was also going on, so there were a lot of crazy fans), and the market was likewise full of people. I suppose I window-shopped (I'm not really sure of the equivalent term for "window-shopping" when speaking about an open-air market...) for most of the time, and also checked out a few vintage places that were not too crowded.

On the way back, I decided to swing by Harrods and see how the other half lives. To be honest, it was a bit overwhelming, and I spent a good amount of time just looking for an escape route. I did, however, find the art displays somewhat interesting...if I ever need to drop several thousand pounds on a painting by Bob Dylan, I know where to go now. I also saw the Princess Diana memorial on my way out, along with an anti-fur protest outside (lovely pamphlets included...I wonder if the "help stop violence" guy at Ball State would be interested...).

I went out for dinner with two other Ball Staters at an Italian place near our neighborhood, then headed down to BAC for another free concert. Tonight, the performers were The Dead Victorians...the name alone makes them worthwhile. The show was hilarious, combining humorous songs (my personal favorite was entitled "Syphilis, My Dear?") with short stories...did I mention that top hats and coat-tails were involved as well? I had a great time, particularly since audience participation was highly encouraged...they even handed out sing-along song sheets before the show started. :)

2 comments:

  1. You have a "help stop violence" guy too? Btw, I'm seeing Waiting for Godot here in Sweden, in Swedish, next weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Hannah...I forgot to sign the earlier one

    ReplyDelete