Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Rapid-Fire Update

The lack of internet access in Newcastle will probably result in posts such as this one for the rest of the trip: general and brief. (Although questions will certainly be welcome at a later time!) Here's the running list of events since my last post:

Spent the last full day in the Lake District shopping downtown before going out to a free concert in a cafe in the evening with my cousin Catherine. We later went to a pub nearby and listened to bad karaoke (as opposed to good karaoke?) before heading back home. The next morning, we all went to the Sheep and Wool Centre (mainly to buy tea towels and postcards...exciting stuff, I know) before our trek back home...the two hour journey took almost four hours due to a traffic accident and the windy country paths. Amelia and Drew flew out the next morning.

In between family dinners and visits to Grandma, my parents, Catherine, and I managed a day trip to Raby Castle and Barnard Castle, both sights which we had not visited before. The grounds at Raby Castle were beautiful, and I have never seen so many deer in person...we walked along the path to get as close to them as possible, and it was amazing to watch them running together and protecting the babies. Barnard Castle is in ruins, but still contains amazing sections, including an original staircase leading to an upper level. A great day out (even though I wanted to fall into a curry coma as a means of recovering from the previous night's dinner...).

Yesterday was my last day with Mom and Dad here, so we visited Grandma and went to the Metrocentre to do some shopping. Mom found a new Illusion ring, and I just enjoyed spending some time with her here at the end. I've cried a lot over the last 24 hours, usually in short bursts, and I probably will for a few more days, but I still have so much to do while I'm here and I know that I will be home sooner than I can believe.

I spent most of today with Grandma and Catherine. My Auntie Brenda came over this morning to help Grandma with some things (as she does weekly), and it was nice to not be completely alone. Catherine and I (after several hours with Grandma) visited Bill Quay farm (which included some beautiful piglets!) and walked in the woods nearby before coming back to her house. Most of the evening has been spent planning the rest of my time here and trying to book trains, etc...I'm going to Edinburgh on Friday, but beyond that, anything could happen. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment