Thursday, July 2, 2009

Painting and 24 Pesos

Based on EUSA's set dates for the program, my internship officially ended today.  Very sad.  Based on reality, however, I still have rehearsals on Saturday and Monday, as well as next week's performances before I really have to say goodbye.  It's a bit hard to swallow right now...I may have found another home in London and at BAC, so leaving will be much more difficult than I foresaw.  I have learned so much, though, and I am so glad to have had this experience and met all of the wonderful people that I encountered.

I started my day with YPT tasks: sent out my rehearsal report from last night, then went out to the courtyard to paint the canes for one of the sequences.  It was warm out, but the shade felt lovely.  The cafe staff was all in a rush because of an event in the Grand Hall.  I did not get all of the details, but it was some sort of government gig, and the Prime Minister was there (I, however, was hidden away).  Because of this, the building was much busier than usual, which was not aided by the heat.  After lunch, I did some random set-up for YPT2 (projector, screen, microphones, etc)...if they had not been moved to a room with blazing sunlight coming through the windows, it would have been much more pleasant (and easier for the projector to actually project!).  During set-up, though, I discovered a room of random furniture, some of which I hope to use during the YPT1 show next week...hopefully this will all work out as I foresee now.

Tonight was the last cultural excursion for EUSA (I skipped the farewell banquet last night in favor of rehearsal), so I opted to go to the Scoop again for a concert.  The opening act was Tom Hickox (of whose name I took note because, drawn as I am to cute piano playing men, he seemed like someone on whom I might have a crush by the end of his set).  I enjoyed his style, shallowness aside...his voice definitely grew on me (somewhat Steve Rothkopf-esque in the sense that you can tell that behind the attempt at pop music there lies classical training), and I forgave him some of the cheesier lyrics.  :)  The main act was a quartet called 24 Pesos, and they were awesome.  They varied between soulful blues and upbeat swing, and I loved it.  It was the type of music that is made to be danced to, although the pace of the dancing might vary.  Plus, the band was obviously having a really fun time, which made them even more enjoyable to watch.  My one complaint (as always) was the audience...if I had young children, I don't think that I would let them run around a concrete amphitheater crowded with strangers.  And if I had friends with me, I would not talk through every single song, particularly those of the opening act (it can't be easy to attempt a soulful ballad with a keyboard with screaming children running in front of you).  That's just one person's opinion, though...and a quiet, seated person at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment